It was only a matter of time for writers to create more supernatural romance series. Evermore by Alyson Noel is the first book in The Immortals series. It feels a awful lot like Twilight. This is not a bad thing. Teens who feel in love with reading because of the Twilight series are hungry for a read alike. Evermore will fill that void. The main difference is that Ever, is a much more interesting character than Bella. She suffered a terrible tragedy. She is the only member of her family to survive a car accident. Since then, she’s been able to read people’s thoughts and see their auras. Before the accident she was a popular girl. Now that she lives with her aunt in a new city, she traded in her trendy clothes for oversized hoodies, choosing to be an outcast instead of the “it girl”.
Damen arrives as the new boy in school and he’s… let’s all say it together… gorgeous… rich and mysterious! He is very much like Edward.
Evermore has the same feel of Twilight. It irritated me just the way Twilight did… and it was just as addictive! I couldn’t put it down! The sequel Blue Moon comes out in July. New Moon vs. Blue Moon? Hmmmm.
Ideas for discussing with teens:
1. What were your first impressions of Damen? Did you think he was a vampire?
2. What about Ever? What do you think of her choice to be an outcast instead of a popular – cheerleader – it girl?
3. How do you feel about her relationship with her dead sister? Why does she not cross over?
4. Talk about Ever’s friend, Haven and why she keeps changing her image? Why does she latch onto Drina so quickly?
5. Would you choose immortality or having the chance to finally live a normal life?